About Us

Our History

Preserving the Jewish faith.

Beth Hamedrosh Hagodol (“Great House of Learning”) Cemetery Association covers 9.3 acres and contains an estimated 9,700 graves dedicated to preserving the Jewish faith within the St. Louis community.

October 13, 1901

Committee Formed

A committee was formed by Beth Hamedrosh Hagodol Synagogue to find a suitable plot of ground to open a cemetery for their congregation.

October 13, 1901

1901

Land Purchased

A six acre plot, located on Ladue Road, was purchased by the committee at a cost of $10.00 per synagogue member.

1901

1902

Frame Chapel

A frame chapel was built.

1902

1903

First Board of Governors

The first board of governors was elected consisting of Selig Fleischman, A. Gallant, Joel Levitt, and B. Koplar and were later joined by S. Leventhal and Jos. Romansky.

1903

1931

Stone Wall & Gates Built

The beautiful stone wall and entrance gates were erected.

1931

1935

Fire Destruction

A fire destroyed the original office and a new house and garage were built.

1935

1949

Burial Laws Changed

One no longer had to be an Orthodox Jew or member of Beth Hamedrosh Synagogue to be buried in the cemetery.

1949

1992

First Executive Director

The cemetery hired its first executive director, Hilton Epstein.

1992

2023

Major Renovations

Major renovation began for a new reception building and garage, with plans to repave and replace existing driveways, walkways, and the parking lot, create new landscaping and repair the front wall and pillars.

2023

Our Grounds

More information coming soon…

Our Team

More information coming soon…

Online Donation